PolyAnno: Translation

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project – more here The translations are handled in essence nearly identically to the transcriptions in the project as I left it at the end of 2016, with the only real differences being in variable names. However this was not the result of merely … Continue reading PolyAnno: Translation

PolyAnno: Further Product Development 1

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project – more here Having clarified the general shape of the project and egun experimenting with each component, building the one package became interesting. Eventually it split into several separate pieces for individual release but all combined together in the one final website for … Continue reading PolyAnno: Further Product Development 1

PolyAnno: Users

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project – more here I never really got far enough into completing the more necessary parts of the project to implement anything useful or even working with the users, but I planned to allow the users data to record favourited data (an image or … Continue reading PolyAnno: Users

PolyAnno: Verification

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project – more here Qualifications vs Wisdom of the Crowd? The methodology by which we verify which transcriptions and translations are "most correct" was/is a huge design problem. Leaving aside the more in depth discussions about defining correct, crowd sourcing projects appeared to take … Continue reading PolyAnno: Verification

PolyAnno: All The Unicode

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project – more here As discussed earlier in the Transcription page, one of the design problems faced by the project is how to allow users to input into the textboxes in any of the possible languages or characters that may be necessary to transcribe … Continue reading PolyAnno: All The Unicode

PolyAnno: Further Product Development 2

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project – more here Separating PolyAnno from "The Polyglot Project" I then intended to release the PolyAnno package separately from the project specifically for the University of Edinburgh. I felt that it was important to create reusable code specifically for the providing the combination … Continue reading PolyAnno: Further Product Development 2

PolyAnno: Initial Ideas and Research 1

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project - more here Dividing Up the Problem My first tactic was to split the problem into several sections: Digitisation Transcription Translation Verification Gamification I then tried to investigate existing examples of products and projects within these fields to analyse and I quickly realised … Continue reading PolyAnno: Initial Ideas and Research 1

PolyAnno: Polyanno Storage

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project – more here Basics Eventually I decided it would be easier to separate out development of the longer term storage i.e. the Node/Express/MongoDB/Mongoose framework such that it can be installed separately and understood more simply in isolation. The Github repo can currently be … Continue reading PolyAnno: Polyanno Storage

PolyAnno: Transcription

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project - more here Getting Content So when I started the project I definitely thought the most difficult of the annotations to handle would be the translations and so my immediate focus regarding with the transcriptions was more to just get them as quickly … Continue reading PolyAnno: Transcription

Polyanno: Basic API Design

This is part of my series of posts about the PolyAnno project - more here Storage and API Setup To store the annotations I decided to use MongoDB as a classic NoSQL, non-relational database to store the JSON-LD files because of its support for handling JSONs. I decided for simplicity to use Mongoose as a … Continue reading Polyanno: Basic API Design