Following on from my recent materials playlist and elements playlist, I decided to do another ‘sciencey’ collection of music, and so continuing in the field of materials science I thought I would do a thermodynamics playlist, especially as it was a topic I was revising for my summer exams.
Listen to the Spotify playlist here: http://spoti.fi/1jg0fTj
Thermodynamics – the branch of physical science that deals with the relations between heat and other forms of energy (such as mechanical, electrical, or chemical energy), and, by extension, of the relationships between all forms of energy
• Queen – Under Pressure
• Paramore – Pressure
• Elbow – Grace Under Pressure
• The Selecter – Too Much Pressure
• Toots & The Maytals – Pressure Drop
• The 1975 – Pressure
• The War On Drugs – Under The Pressure
• Maximo Park – Apply Some Pressure
• Youngblood Hawke – Pressure
• Rival Sons – Pressure and Time
• Flight Of The Conchords – Inner City Pressure
• Leftfield – Release The Pressure
• The Kinks – Pressure
• The Kinks – Too Hot
• David Bowie – Heat
• Sean Paul – Temperature
• The Audition – My Temperature Is Rising
• Aerosmith – Temperature
• The Gym All-Stars – Temperature
• Chris Zabriskie – The Temperature of the Air on the Bow of the Kaleetan
• Balloon Farm – A Question of Temperature
• Kaiser Chiefs – Take My Temperature – i Tunes Live
• Pulp – Deep Fried In Kelvin
• Backyard Babies – Minus Celsius
• Kent – Celsius
• Eddie Thoneick & Norman Doray – Celsius
• Jungle – The Heat
• Jamiroquai – Canned Heat – Remastered
• Asia – Heat Of The Moment
• Little Dragon – Brush The Heat
• Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave
• Kaiser Chiefs – Heat Dies Down
• David Bowie – Heat
• The Black Keys – Just A Little Heat
States of Matter & Cycles
• Muse – Big Freeze
• Muse – Liquid State
• The Kinks – A Gallon of Gas – US Single Edit
• Sting – The Snow It Melts The Soonest
• DJ Shadow – Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt
• Royal Republic – Full Steam Spacemachine
• Daft Punk – Steam Machine
• Spin Doctors – Refrigerator Car
• Alice Cooper – Refrigerator Heaven
• Zircon – Out of the Refrigerator, Into the Icebox
• Gorgon City – Cycles
• Frank Sinatra – Cycles
• No Bragging Rights – Cycles
• Dry the River – The Chambers & The Valves
• Barbarossa – Turbine
• Arctic Monkeys – My Propeller
• Soap&Skin – Turbine Womb
• The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It
• Bodybangers – Pump Up the Jam – Radio Edit
• Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Pump It Up
• Benny Benassi – Back to the Pump – Radio Edit
• Zomboy – Pump It Up
• El Ten Eleven – Central Nervous Piston
• Tom McRae – 2nd Law
• Movie Sounds Unlimited – The 2nd Law: Isolated System – From “World War Z”
• Muse – The 2nd Law: Unsustainable
• Muse – The 2nd Law: Isolated System
• LorD and Master – Entropy
• Alex Belmonte – Entropy
• Zomby – Entropy Sketch
• Alaya – Entropy
Generally the playlist can be grouped:
Pressure – Measured as force per unit area.
Gauge or vacuum pressure is pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure, which is equal approximately to 101 325 N/m2.
Temperature – The measure of the energy content of a mass.
Related to pressure and volume by the ideal gas equation: PV=mRT
Engineering Systems –
Systems can be viewed as:
Open system – a system where mass and energy crossing its boundary.
Closed system – has a fixed amount of mass, however energy can cross the boundary.
Isolated system – has a fixed mass and energy cannot cross its boundary.
The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics – All processes that occur in nature tend towards spontaneously.
There are actually several different ways of stating the 2nd law, the most useful are:
Clausius statement – It is impossible to construct a device that operates in a cycle and produces no effect other than the transfer of heat from a lower-temperature body to a higher-temperature body.
Kelvin-Planck statement – It is impossible for any device that operates on a cycle to receive heat from a single reservoir and produce a net amount of work.
(in terms of entropy) – The total entropy change of an isolated system during a process always increases or, in the limiting case of a reversible process, remains constant.
Entropy – A measure of energy that is no longer available to perform useful work within the current environment.
The 3rd Law of Thermodynamics – any pure crystalline substance at absolute zero has an entropy of zero.